GIDEON UKERS 2023
Welcome to the Gideon Welles ukulele class for 2023! I hope you can find the time to practice at home.
What sound do you hear when a ukulele falls from the 20th floor to the concrete below?
If you cannot tune the ukulele by yourself, or with the help of your family, please bring the instrument in to Mrs. Grant. She will help you.
The following songs are the ones we're working on at the moment. (Don't click on the BAR-that's for baritone ukulele tuning, which is different)
- Are You Sleeping/Frere Jacques/Bruder Jakob s BAR-this is a 1 chord song
- He's Got the Whole World C * s (slow version)    BAR-2 chord song in the key of C
- Clementine * s (slow version)   BAR-2 chord song in the key of F
- McDonald's C * s (slow version)    BAR- 2 chord, key of C
- Down By the Riverside* s (slow) BAR
- This Land Is Your Land *s BAR
- You Are My Sunshine C-slow * s BAR
- Amazing Grace-F s BAR
- I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing * s BAR-3 chord song, key of F
- London Bridge Is Falling Down* s (slow) BAR
- The Alphabet Song/Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star-G
- Amazing Grace-G s BAR
- Lean On Me-G *s BAR
- Silent Night * s BAR
- Yellow Submarine *s BAR
DON'T FORGET: For those of you who are borrowing ukuleles, you need to purchase a ukulele within a few weeks, so show the last page of the handout to your parents, and have them call me if they have questions.
POINTS TO REMEMBER!
- Keep your left thumb low in back of the neck, and oriented vertically
- Strum over the fingerboard, not over the sound hole.
- Cut fingernails of the left hand short.
- Hold the ukulele so that the end hits your right inner biceps muscle and your forearm crosses the uke's lower right.
- Practice your strumming away from the ukulele, for example, in the car, on your seat belt.
- Practice chord changes when you can, for example, during a television program, or at least during the commercials.